PWHTLogo

 

 

 

 

 

PLAQUES

There are three main sections to the plaques, namely:

Parktown Heritage Plaques,

Anglo Boer War Plaques in Parktown and

Heritage Lapel Badges

 

 

PARKTOWN HERITAGE PLAQUES

Location / Image Description
18 Gale Road BISHOPSKOP

In 1904 architects Baker Masey and Sloper designed this house, tiny chapel and its gardens for Archdeacon Furse. Using the koppie stone quarried on site, Sloper patiently taught the masons to shape the very hard rock. Elevated to Anglican Bishop of Pretoria (the See included Johannesburg) Furse continued to champion the mineworkers. He changed the church’s system of stipends by putting all Anglican priests onto the same graded payroll, operating independently of the wealth or otherwise of each parish.

St. Andrew’s Road / St David’s Place : Mike’s Kitchen EIKENLAAN

The house is named after the avenue of oak trees planted by the first owner, James F Goch, who was born in 1857 in Swellendam. It was designed in 1904 by J.S. Donaldson, with the generous proportions, steeply pitched roof and open veranda favoured in warm colonial climates. James Goch came to the Rand in 1886 and by 1892 he had opened a photographic studio in Pritchard Street as well as a Watchmakers and Jewellers shop, yet his fortune was made from property deals.

ART DECO PLAQUE:

26 Pallinghurst Road Westcliff (Originally Abegweit)

 

eMLOVU

Built in 1919 for W Jarvis Palmer the double storey central block was designed by Harold Porter.  In 1936 Emley and Williamson completed the original design for the new owners, Percival and Gladys Rillstone.  Although the additions were substantial, the scale is cleverly concealed by a series of tiered roofs.  An Australian, who served in both Egypt and France in World War I, Rillstone came to South Africa in 1928 and established a large motor dealership bearing his name.

ART DECO PLAQUE:

10 Park Lane, Parktown

LYNDON HALL

This luxurious and elegant apartment building, designed by P Rogers Cooke for Janeal (Pty) Ltd was built in 1944, and given the name of the 1911 house which it replaced. Commissioned by Michael Miller, co-founder of OK Bazaars, and his wife Jane, Lyndon Hall echoed the sophisticated lifestyle they experienced in New York. The asymmetrical façade reflects the division between very large apartments to the north and much smaller flats on the south side for senior staff or employees.

22 Oxford Road ONDERKOPPIES

Albert Victor Lindbergh, co-founder in 1892 of the Central News Agency (CNA) bought Marienhof in 1916 and changed the German name. CNA was the first distributor of newspapers in Southern Africa and expanded into selling books and publishing school textbooks as well as the works of South African writers. After her husband’s death in1939, Gladys Lindbergh continued living here until 1969 when her house was expropriated and demolished for the motorway. Parts of the stone garden walls and entrance gates remain.

4 Loch Avenue, Parktown West.

KITSON HOUSE

Olympic Gold Medallist at London in 1908 and Stockholm in 1912, and an outstanding tennis player, Henry Harry Austin Kitson worked in the Land and Deeds Department of Rand Mines Ltd. He served with the Cape Mounted Rifles in the Anglo Boer War, bought Cottage No 3 in the “Eckstein Compound” and later bought and moved into Cottage No 2 in 1918. The Cottages were designed by H. Baker and Masey to attract white-collar workers in the gold mining industry. The house remained in the family until 1998.

10 Rhodes Avenue, Parktown West.

KLEINE SCHUUR

Kleine Schuur, the “perfect cottage”, set the style for Rhodes Avenue in 1910. It was designed by Baker and Fleming for artist/cartoonist Denis Santry. Santry presumably chose the name mockingly referring to the difference between himself and Cecil John Rhodes for whom Baker had built Groote Schuur. Santry’s political satire, much of it focused on World War I, was created in the studio within the steeply-pitched roof. He left in 1918 for Singapore to work as an architect. The next owner was J.A. Ashburnham, Chief Magistrate of Johannesburg.

35 The Valley Road, Parktown

PROSPECT TERRACE

Frank Emley designed this home in 1913 for Henry Melville Taberer, a keen cricketer who headed the Native Labour Board. The house is in the Arts and Crafts idiom, expressing the philosophy of William Morris and repeating elements from his Red House. In 1937 Dr Bernard Friedman M.P. bought it. He was an ear, nose and throat surgeon and a founder of the Progressive Party. In 1986 it became the home of Dr Johan  van der Wat and family. Like his father, he became a prominent gynaecologist. In 1986, he was a member of the team that pioneered the world’s first mother/daughter surrogate triplet pregnancy.

28 Pallinghurst Road, Westcliff

YE ROKKES

This house was designed in eclectic style in 1902 for John Jolly, a merchant and founding director of Premier Diamond Mine. Later notable occupants include F. Glenton, tea importer, AA von Maltitz, mining engineer and director of Anglovaal companies, his wife Gerda von Maltitz, painter and their daughters Amalie von Maltitz, sculptor, in Stalhuis, the converted stables, and Alida van Deventer, artist and marionette master. Alida used the billiard room as a small theatre, performing there over five decades

19 Pallinghurst Road, Westcliff

WESTCLIFF

The original building and stables, designed by architect Harvey Clayton in 1903,were built for William Lincoln Honnold, an American mining engineer and his wife, Caroline. They arrived in the Transvaal in 1902. Alterations by Herbert Baker in 1909 changed and enlarged the north facade and added the west wing. Further alterations were done in 1917 by Pearse and Ellis. Honnold was with Consolidated Mines Selection Co. Through his American contacts he helped facilitate part of the establishment of Anglo American Corporation of South Africa, becoming one of its permanent directors.

The house was later occupied by Harold Thomas Dickenson, manager of De Beers Mine. He was involved in the manufacturing munitions during World War I and, in 1936, became a director in the Anglo American group.

 

ANGLO BOER WAR HERITAGE PLAQUES IN PARKTOWN

Image Location Description
  11 WAUCHOPE ROAD DENEYS REITZ'S HOUSE

Deneys Reitz enlisted with the Boers in the Pretoria Commando at the age of 17 and fought in the Natal campaign. Serving throughout the war he took part in the Battle of Johannesburg and later joined General Smuts in the guerrilla campaign. He recorded his experiences in the classic war-time memoir Commando. Reitz acquired this house in 1919.

  16 VICTORIA AVENUE / JUBILEE DOLOBRAN

This house was designed by J.A. Cope Christie in 1905 for Charles Llewellyn Andersson (later Sir), an accountant, who helped raise, served with and later commanded the South African Light Horse Regiment. After the occupation of Johannesburg he returned to civilian life and assisted the military administration as a Justice of the Peace.

Doveton Doveton Cnr Loch Avenue

DOVETON ROAD

The road is named after Major David Edwin Doveton, manager of Village Main Reef Gold Mine, who served with the Imperial Light Horse Regiment. On 14 February 1900 Doveton died of wounds received at Wagon Hill during the Siege of Ladysmith.

  15 Jubilee corner Queen’s Road EMOYENI

This house was designed in 1905 by architects, Leck and Emley, for Henry Charles Hull, an attorney and, in 1910, Minister of Finance in the first Union Government. On the outbreak of war Hull left for Cape Town, where he joined Brabant's Horse, seeing action at the Battle of Wepener. Hull followed on the heels of the British army into Johannesburg and was appointed to the Military Tribunal which replaced the Z.A.R. judiciary during the British occupation. He was not an Imperialist and allied himself with Botha and Smuts in the Transvaal Legislature.

Endulini 5A Jubilee Road

ENDULINI

The original house on this property was built in about 1903 by Major Charles Herbert Mullins, an attorney, who served with the Imperial Light Horse Regiment and was awarded the Victoria Cross (the highest award for valour in the British Army) after the Battle of Elandslaagte in October 1899. He was severely wounded at Maritsani, near Mafeking in May 1900.

Gandhi Square   GANDHI SQUARE

British Occupation

Near this point on Government Square in front of the Court House, on 31 May 1900 Field Marshall Roberts rode into Johannesburg and accepted the surrender of Johannesburg from Z.A.R. Commandant, Dr F.E.T. Krause. The Boers had been allowed 24 hours to evacuate the town provided the left the mines intact.

  ENTRANCE TO JOHANNESBURG HOSPITAL HOHENHEIM

Near this site stood Hohenheim, the first mansion built in Parktown. Designed by Frank Emley in 1892 for Lionel Phillips (later Sir) it became the home of Sir Percy FitzPatrick, author and mining financier, whose book The Transvaal from Within greatly influenced public opinion in Britain. It emphasized Uitlander grievances and advocated British intervention in the Z.A.R. In 1902 he was knighted for his services to the British Empire.

  39 JAN SMUTS AVENUE. 39 JAN SMUTS AVENUE

Designed in 1905 by Percival Hill Mitchelson for American mining engineer, Charles James Price, manager of Geldenhuis Deep Gold Mine. When war broke out the technical staff of the mines formed the Railway Pioneer Regiment to repair damage done to the railways by Boer forces. Railways were essential to the British army for moving troops and supplies over vast distances. Price served as a captain in the first battalion.

  17 Jan Smuts corner Seymour LITTLEHOLM

This house was designed by Percival Hill Mitchelson in 1904 for Stanley Archibald Markham Pritchard of the Cape Mounted Rifles and later the Basutoland Mounted Police. He came to Johannesburg in 1901 to work in what was then called the Native Affairs Department. In the First World War Colonel Pritchard commanded the SA Native Labour Corps in France.

Marienhof 32 Oxford Road near M1 onramp MARIENHOF

In 1890 Eduard Amadeus Lippert bought part of the farm Braamfontein and rebuilt the farmhouse for himself and his wife, Marie, naming it Marienhof after her death in 1893. Advised by the forester Genth, Lippert started a plantation, later called the Sachsenwald, to supply timber to the mines. The Pro-Boer Lippert obtained the Dynamite Concession, a monopoly, often cited as a cause of the war by the Uitlanders. He also assisted the Boers in buying guns from Germany. Lippert left the Transvaal on the outbreak of war, never to return.

    NETHERCOURT

This is the site of Nethercourt, home to John Henry Rainier, son of an English father and Dutch mother. A Transvaal burgher, he was entitled to remain in Johannesburg when war was declared. Rainier chaired the divisional committee for Parktown and Hillbrow of the "Rust en Orde" Commission, created to protect the property of exiled Uitlanders and to control the local populace.

  Victoria Avenue /corner Oxford Road NORTH LODGE

Designed by JH Aldwyncle this house was built in 1905 for Henry S Wilson, a produce merchant. Known as the “Oats King, Wilson built North Lodge on the profits from supplying the British army with fodder for its horses. In the fodder came the seeds of invader species - blackjack, khakibos, gallant soldier and cosmos.

  21 Rockridge Road NORTHWARDS

The house was designed by Baker, Masey and Sloper in 1904 for John and Jose Dale Lace. In January 1901 Dale Lace raised, and after the war commanded, the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles. In 1911 Northwards was bought by George Albu (later Sir) founder of General Mining group. Their mines were closed when war broke out, yet, by May 1901, Albu had brought the first of these back into full production.

Onderkoppies 22 Oxford Road

ONDERKOPPIES

Albert Victor Lindbergh, co-founder in 1892 of the Central News Agency (CNA) bought Marienhof in 1916 and changed the German name. CNA was the first distributor of newspapers in Southern Africa and expanded into selling books and publishing school textbooks as well as the works of South African writers. After her husband’s death in1939, Gladys Lindbergh continued living here until 1969 when her house was expropriated and demolished for the motorway. Parts of the stone garden walls and entrance gates remain.

  17A PALLINGHURST ROAD 17a PALLINGHURST ROAD

This house was designed by Herbert Baker in 1903 for the Braamfontein Company to promote the new section of Parktown. Its first occupant Brevet-Major John William Fraser Lamont came to South Africa with the Royal Artillery. He was awarded the Queen's and King's medals with seven bars. He then transferred to the Transvaal Horse Artillery and in 1906 became Chief Staff Officer to all the volunteer regiments

  PALLINGHURST ROAD – northern end PALLINGHURST

The original house was based on a design done by Herbert Baker in 1903 for Raymond William Schumacher (Ffennel), but was only built some years later. Schumacher was a Captain in the Rand Rifles, the corps raised in 1900 to guard the gold mines from attack by the Boers. During the war the British erected a blockhouse on this property overlooking what was then Old Pretoria Road.

  12 Park Lane 12 PARK LANE

Built before the war for Harrison Fraser Watson, a stockbroker and keen sportsman from the Cape Colony. As a British subject he had to leave the Transvaal, returning to the Cape to join the Colonial forces. In his absence Robert Kuranda lived here. He accepted the most unpopular task of commandeering goods, horses and equipment for the Z.A.R. Watson returned when the Stock Exchange re-opened on 24 December 1901.

 

corner Eton and Rockridge Roads

PILRIG COACH HOUSE

Situated on the South boundary of the property the Coach House was designed by architects Baker, Masey and Sloper for Archibald Balfour. Apart from stabling horses, it housed the fodder and carriages to service the property. To the north was a tennis court and gardens which extended up the hill to the main house which is still standing. The Coach House was converted to office use in 1981/2.

  Pieter Roos Park RAND MINES COCOPANS

These cocopans commemorate the centenary in 1993 of the first, and for many years, the most powerful mining house on the Witwatersrand. Rand Mines contributed substantially to the establishment of the Imperial Light Horse and other Rand regiments. Ironically, while many mines closed when war was declared, the ZAR worked most of the group’s mines, producing enough gold to meet the costs of the Boer campaign

Randjieslaagte Boundary Road

RANDJIESLAAGTE BEACON

When Johannesburg was proclaimed in 1886 on the triangular site Randjeslaagte the area of the town was nine square km. Randjeslaagte was a piece of "uitvalgrond" - land left over from the farms surveyed around it. The beacon marks the apex of the triangle with its base running along Commissioner Street, from End Street in the east to Diagonal Street in the west. The 2 1/2 square km remained the municipal area of Johannesburg until 1901. The original surveyor's beacon was a white pole fixed in a cairn of rock. It was declared a national monument in 1965 and the cairn smoothed with cement.

  Formerly 8 Ridge Road/ Entrance 14 Junction

RIDGEHOLM

This house was designed in 1902 by architects, Leck and Emley, for Richard Baumann, an attorney who served on Milner's Permits Committee which controlled the return of the Uitlanders to their homes on the Rand. Milner wanted to speed up their return from the wretchedness of the refugee camps, but the military authorities were reluctant to allow this, being more concerned about security and food shortages.

  6 Princess Place – JULIANA COURT SANTA CLARA

This is the site of the house built for Rowland Albermarle Arthur Bettington, a stockbroker, who raised "Bettington's Horse" in 1896 in a vain attempt to support Dr. Jameson's abortive invasion of the Transvaal. In 1899 Bettington with his four sons volunteered. He joined Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry with the rank of captain and fought in the Natal campaign until he was wounded at Spionkop.

  13 JUBILEE SAVERNAKE

The house was designed by architects, Leck and Emley, in 1904 for Dr W. T.F. "Billy" Davies, D.S.O., Surgeon-Major, Imperial Light Horse Regiment. Twice mentioned-in-despatches, Davies served as both a combatant and a medical officer and won the Distinguished Service Order during the Siege of Ladysmith. In 1906-7 as Lieutenant Colonel, he commanded the regiment.

  24 Seymour Avenue 24 SEYMOUR AVENUE

Designed by Aburrow and Treeby in 1903, this house was first occupied by Captain Aubrey St. John Cook of the Indian Army. He came to South Africa in January 1900 as Staff Officer for Transport and was Secretary to the Military Compensation Commission, was mentioned in despatches, and awarded the D.S.O. Cook lived here while Director of Transport for the Repatriation Department, organising the return of British soldiers to their homes throughout the Empire.

  10 St Andrew’s Road Site of HOUSE SCHUURMAN

Here stood the home of Dirk Jan Schuurman, a burgher of the Z.A.R., public prosecutor, keen cricketer and a member of The Wanderers Club. When war broke out he remained at his post, and volunteered additionally for the Rus en Order Kommissie, protecting the property of his absent British neighbours. Later he joined the political party, Het Volk, which was bitterly opposed to Milner’s programme of Anglicisation.

  2 York Road SUNNYSIDE PARK

The house was built in 1895 for Hennen Jennings. In March 1901 it became the official residence of Sir Alfred (later Lord) Milner, British High Commissioner and the man generally blamed for the outbreak of the war. As Governor of the Transvaal and Orange River Colonies, Milner introduced civil administration more than a year before the war ended and was responsible for the post-war reconstruction. He left South Africa in 1905

  18 Jan Smuts Avenue THE ANGLES

In 1912 Israel Hayman commissioned Baker and Fleming to design the house as a bridal gift. Hayman, an attorney, served with Marshall's Horse in Natal and was wounded at Acton Holmes before Spionkop. He returned to his unit and fought throughout the war, retiring with the rank of lieutenant. He received both the Queen's and King's Medals with seven bars.

 

47 The Valley Road

THE MOOT HOUSE

Built for Richard Feetham in 1906 and designed by Baker, Masey and Sloper, this was the first house to be erected on this street. Feetham was brought to Johannesburg in 1902 as deputy town clerk - one of a group of Oxford graduates (Milner's Kindergarten) who were to assist in the reconstruction of the Transvaal after the Anglo-Boer War. This house became their meeting place. Here they drafted the Selborne Memorandum, precursor to the Union of South Africa. Feetham was town clerk for four years, representing Parktown in parliament, served in the Cape Coloured Corps in World War I and became Judge-President of Natal and Chancellor of the University of the Witwatersrand. He lived here until 1922.

 

17 ROCKRIDGE ROAD

THE OUTSPAN

The house was designed by Herbert Baker in 1902 for Major Walter Karri- Davies, an Australian and co-founder of the Imperial Light Horse Regiment . He was mentioned four times in despatches for gallantry in action in the Natal campaign and later entered Mafeking the night before the siege was lifted. He served without pay and refused all honours.

  St David’s Place THE SHIRES
(later OUTENIQUA)

This house was designed by E.C. Choinier in 1904 for Ohlsson's Brewery. The first occupant was Robert Kantor, their manager, who had been extensively involved in provisioning the Imperial Military Railways during the war. Thirsty soldiers in the war gave a major impetus to local breweries.

  5 Rockridge Road THE STONEHOUSE

Built in March 1902 the house was designed by Herbert Baker for himself and members of Milner’s Kindergarten. Herbert Baker (later Sir) became the most influential architect in South Africa at that time. He lived here with his wife and family until 1912. Just north of the house stood one of the blockhouses built by the British in 1900 to guard the approaches to Johannesburg. This one commanded what was then Old Pretoria Road.

 

18 Ridge Road

THE VIEW

This house was designed by Charles Aburrow in 1897 for Thomas Cullinan (later Sir), master builder and diamond mining magnate. Cullinan was not prepared to fight against the Boers. He took his family to his wife's home in the Eastern Cape. There he joined the Wodehouse Yeomanry, a purely defensive group of local farmers, yet they nearly captured General Smuts at Moordenaar’s Pass.

Valley Home  

VALLEY HOME

Designed by Baker Masey and Sloper in 1906 for Attorney Walter Solomon Webber and his wife, Margaret (Ross). They were both keen gardeners and their home was called Ednam. Webber came to Johannesburg in 1902 and established the firm Webber-Wentzel. He was a member of the Transvaal Legislative Assembly and represented Troyeville.

Valley Road 49 The Valley Road

VALLEY-ROAD

First called Prospect Terrace in 1904, it was renamed The Valley Road in 1917. This road links Oxford Road , originally a private road, wih Government or Old Pretoria Road, later Jan Smuts Avenue (the original mail couch route from the Cape to Pretoria). The north stands were developed first. These enjoyed a view towards the plantation of the Sachsenwald, now Forest Town, Saxonwold and the Johannesburg Zoo. On 26 April 1991 this area was proclaimed a heritage area, enhanced by the architectural influence of Sir Herbert Baker and his partners to many of the properties. Acknowledgement is given to the financial assistance of The Valley Road Conservation Trust, which was founded by the late Taco Kuiper, who lived in the Bell House.

Villa Arcadia 22 Oxford Road

VILLA ARCADIA

In 1898 a Swiss chalet was built here for merchant Carl Rolfes. In 1906 the property was bought by Randlord and MP Sir Lionel Phillips, chairman of Rand Mines. His influential wife, Florence, founder of the Johannesburg Art Gallery and described as No Ordinary Woman, masterminded the creation of the present Villa Arcadia with architect Sir Herbert Baker. Certain design features are mirrored in Pretoria's Union Buildings, designed by Baker the following year. In 1923, under the S.A. Jewish Orphanage, it became The Arc, serving children for the next 78 years. Bought by HOLLARD in 2003, the Villa's original elegance and historic craftsmanship have been restored and are complemented by a modern art collection. 

Woolsack Woolston Road

THE WOOLSACK
(now The Ridge School)

The original house was designed in 1902 by architects, Aburrow and Treeby, for Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Aubrey Woolls-Sampson, co-founder of the Imperial Light Horse Regiment. Severely wounded at Elandslaagte, he remained with the regiment until the surrender of Pretoria. Thereafter he became an outstanding field-intelligence officer, ably assisted by African scouts. He was knighted for his service in the war.

    WANOOKA

This house was built in 1902 for Captain Henry Smith Greenwood of the Royal Canadian Dragoons who took part in Lord Roberts' grand offensive from De Aar Junction to Pretoria. Thereafter Greenwood commanded the Royal Engineers with the Imperial Military Railways. After the war he and his wife stayed here until 1908 when the family returned to Canada.


Street Names

Location / Image Description
 

DOVETON ROAD

The road is named after Major David Edwin Doveton, manager of Village Main Reef Gold Mine, who served with the Imperial Light Horse Regiment. On 14 February 1900 Doveton died of wounds received at Wagon Hill during the Siege of Ladysmith.

  CAMPBELL ROAD

Col.CJ Andersson in naming the streets of this sector of Parktown chose to honour the men of Rand Mines who lost their lives in the war. Campbell Road is named after one of three men :
Sgt W.H. Campbell South African Light Horse
Sgt C Campbell Imperial Light Infantry Spionkop 24-1-00
Tpr J Campbell Imperial Light Horse Ladysmith 23-1-00

  GALE ROAD

The road is named after Captain Frederick G. Gale, manager of Glen Deep Gold Mine, who served with the Railway Pioneer Regiment and was killed in action at Rhenoster Spruit on 6 June 1900.

  JAN SMUTS AVENUE

Originally Old Pretoria Road the name was changed in 1917 to honour Jan Christiaan Smuts (1870-1950). Graduate of Cambridge University, attorney-general of the Z.A.R., Smuts became a successful Boer general. He was involved in all stages of the war from the early negotiations which failed to the Peace Treaty of Vereeniging. He was later the prime minister of the Union of South Africa.

  SEYMOUR AVENUE

Seymour Avenue is named after Major Louis Irving Seymour, an American mechanical engineer and consulting engineer of Rand Mines. Seymour saw the need for technical skills so raised and was second in command of the Railway Pioneer Regiment. He was killed in action at Zand River on 14 June 1900.

  VICTORIA AVENUE

Named provocatively by the Uitlanders after Queen Victoria on her Diamond Jubilee in 1897 prior to the war. On the outbreak of hostilities British and Colonial troops rushed to volunteer to fight for Queen and Empress. Victoria died in January 1901 before the end of the war.

  WAUCHOPE ROAD

This road was named after Major General Andrew Gilbert Wauchope, Laird of Niddrie (Scotland), and veteran of many Imperial campaigns. He was killed in action at Magersfontein on 16 December 1899 commanding the Highland Brigade which included his own regiment, the Black Watch.

HERITAGE LAPEL BADGES

These will be available shortly from the Trust  parktown@intekom.co.za

Location / Image Description
Dr Xuma Dr A.B. Xuma House
Gandhi Gandhi Family House
Kliptown Kliptown Museum
Lanlaage Langlaage Stamp Battery
Mandela Mandela's Place
Mary Fitzgerald Mary Gitzgerald Square
Melville Koppies Melville Koppies
Turbine Turbine Square
Villa Arcadia Villa Arcadia
Zoo Lake Zoo Lake

 

divider

 

Last Edit : 22/7/2011

(c) Entropy Computers - Website maintained & hosted by BBIS